A little chapel was built in 1441 maintained by a Pauline hermit to pay tribute to Saint Wolfgang. A few years later his fellow members of the order settled down there and started to build the church together with the monastery around 1482. The nave of the Gothic-style church has five sections, and its sanctuary with tracery windows has two sections. Its main altar is decorated by the 16th-century altarpiece depicting the Black Madonna of Częstochowa. The jewellery and crowns affixed to the painting demonstrate respect for her to this day. The side altar and choir stalls of the church rebuilt in Baroque style were made around 1750, while the mural of the balustrade of the gallery depicting the Apostles were made around 1770, and its benches were carved in Rococo style. Following the dissolution of the Pauline Order in 1786, the church stood empty until 1827. The monastery was first used as accommodation for miners, then it was a hospital and later a warehouse. The building was a home for Carmelite nuns from 1892 until 1950. The coat of arms of the Nádasdy and the Esterházy families can be seen on its façade.
The church having a single nave and a surface area of only 58 square metres stands in an area surrounded by a natural stone wall. The Roman and Early Gothic style elements are both seen in the valuable monument. Its square sanctuary was built in the Arpad-era from carved stones. The year 1427 appears on the keystone of its gothic vault. The tower was built in the 14th century. There is a sitting booth and a mural depicting a bishop in the sanctuary, while a stone pulpit and a baptismal font stand in the nave. The fragments of fresco paintings in the nave depict the Three wise men and the last prayer and repose of Mary. Several parts of the walls preserved traces of ornamental decorations and colouring, as well as coat of arms and inscriptions carved in the wall.
The first written record of the church is from 1278. It attained its grand, unchanged size in 1484 when the transept was added and the sanctuary was extended. Presumably, King Matthias also attended the sanctification of the church. Despite of its reconstruction in the 19th century the Gothic church preserved several medieval, 15th-century murals or fragments thereof. The wooden Madonna statue was made between 1460 and 1470, and the churchyard also has 17th-century, late-Renaissance tombstones. The mesh ribbed vault and its keystones in the sacristy, as well as the old, glazed tile flooring of the treasury are also worth mentioning. The Neo-Gothic fitting was made at the time of the restoration between 1859 and 1866 according to the designs of Sr. Ferenc Storno.The Saint James’s Chapel next to the church is an octagon-shaped rotunda. The stone carving on the peristyle of the chapel’s gate: a tree of life in the middle with a dragon figure on both sides.
Here was once the entrance of the winegrower quarter beyond the stream Ikva. The church was probably built by the Johannite knights in addition to the hospital maintained by them. Its tower and Western façade may have been built in the first quarter of the 15th century. A finial with a weather cock stands on the hexagonal stone helm above the gothic windows since 1673. A Baroque atrium with a decorative gate is connected to the church and the foot of the small Gothic tower. The inner walls and vault of the church are adorned by the fresco paintings made by István Dorfmeister in 1782. The artist painted the larger-than-life figures of Church Fathers as statues standing in compartments. The main altar was caused to be erected by Lipót Kollonits, the bishop of Wiener Neustadt. The altarpiece of the church which is Gothic on the outside and Baroque on the inside depicts the Pentecost scene of the coming of the Holy Spirit.The activities of István Dorfmeister in Sopron are documented by a commemorative plaque on the external wall of the church.
According to a medial story, János Schmuckenpfennig, a citizen of Sopron, was involved in a murder. The perpetrator donated a plot – according to the sentence imposed by Pope Boniface IX – where a church was built in five years as a result of a construction that started in 1393. The church was used by the Lutherans between 1555 and 1673. Following the fire of 1676 the Jesuits renovated the building in Baroque style. The statues of Mary and Saint Joseph were placed on its façade. The eight side-chapels of the originally Gothic church and the whole internal wall received stucco decoration. Its altars, statues, benches and pulpit are all elaborately decorated Baroque creations. Hungary’s oldest organ, the 1633 work of Johann Wöckherl, a craftsman from Vienna, can be found in the church. The Baroque tower connected to the main façade came tumbling down on the street in 1869. The 55 metres high new tower was built on the other side of the church, on the rotunda of the castle wall. The following Latin inscription can be read on it: “Built for the glory of God in 1882”. The renovation following the destructions of the world wars also made the medieval parts found below the Baroque architecture visible.
The Franciscan monks built their monastery at first, then added a church to it around 1280 which is an outstanding piece of the Hungarian Gothic architecture. The peristyle of its southern gate is adorned by a 15th-century, hooded Mary statue. Its vault and choir are both 15th-century works, but its fittings are Baroque. Its fresco paintings and gothic windows are true masterpieces. The altarpiece elaborately decorated by statues below the medieval consoles shaped like deformed human heads is an 18th-century relic. From one of its pulpits preached Saint John of Capestrano who was gathering an army against the Turks before the victorious battle of Nándorfehérvár. The other pulpit is an 18th-century piece adorned by statues and reliefs. The church was a scene of several historical events: coronation of a king in 1625, coronation of queens, parliaments, the church was used by Benedictine monks as of 1802 which was also the burial site of the Esterházy and the Széchényi families. The late Gothic chapter room together with the church host an interactive exhibition. The building also named as the Goat church received its name because the builder, Henrik Geisel’s coat of arms decorated with a goat can be seen both on the façade of the tower and the consoles of the gallery.
The Dominicans were settled down in Sopron by Erzsébet Batthyány in 1674. The monks bought a house and a plot in 1700 at the place of the present-day monastery and church. They installed a chapel in the monastery and established the Confraternity of the Rosary in 1703. The groundbreaking ceremony and the blessing of the present-day church was on 15 November 1719, the first mass was celebrated in 1723, at the feast of Saint Peter of Verona. The building complex was designed and the construction was led by Lőrinc Eisenkölbl. The Baroque fitting, the main altar, the pulpit carved from golden and painted wood adorned by a statue depicting the founder of the order, the benches and the confessional were carved by a Dominican monk in the 18th century. The two towers were completed in 1775. The Chapel of Perpetual Adoration named after Saint Thomas Aquinas was opened in 2017 on the side of the monastery facing Mátyás király Street.
The Ursuline nunnery was founded by a Viennese woman named Maria Niggl in 1746. This was the time when the first church was built to pay tribute to the Holy Cross which was also visited by Maria Theresa of Austria in 1773. The Neo-Gothic church designed by Nándor Handler was sanctified in 1864. The statue of Immaculate Conception can be found in the middle of its façade, while the statues of Saint Ursula and Saint Angela Merici can be seen in the compartments of the cornerstones. The Neo-Gothic main altar made of oak was given as a gift by Bishop János Simor. The altarpiece depicts the Immaculate Conception, the altar wings include the reliefs of Saint Ursula and Saint Augustine, as well as the small statues of Saint Stephen and Saint Ladislaus. The side altars were built to pay tribute to Saint Angela Merici and Saint Joseph, while the altarpieces were painted by Franz Josef Dobyaschofsky in 1864. The oratory of the nunnery hosts an exhibition of church art.
The Lutheran congregation firstly established in Hungary in 1565 has had a chapel at the place of the present-day church since 1674. The wooden chapel was rebuilt in 1676 following the great city fire, then it was extended in the 18th century. Since the stone church built in 1722 turned out to be small, the congregation requested the monarch in February 1781 to allow the construction of a larger church. The construction was started already under the Patent of Toleration, and Joseph II stipulated that the church to be built should have neither a bell nor a tower, and its gate could not face the street. The church was sanctified in 1784 during the priesthood of József Torkos. Due to the watery area the building stands on 182 alder stilts. One part of the town wall came down during the construction of the huge hall church divided into three naves by eight pillars, and the debris was taken to the no longer relevant ditch. Thus, the first, non-medieval exit of the city centre was created. The sanctification of the tower and the bells was in 1867. The church in Sopron having 2500 seats is the third largest Lutheran church of Hungary.
The former synagogue is in the yard of two late medieval buildings in the downtown. The first written records about the Jewish in Sopron are from the 13th century. The early Gothic synagogue, which was built around 1300 and was unique in Central Europe, could not – in accordance with the then specifications – be erected on the street line therefore there is yard at its front. The building remained only in pieces but its former layout could be reconstructed. There is an exhibition in the building. "Forgotten people from Sopron".
The Orthodox synagogue on the south of Paprét was erected upon the designs of János Schiller in 1890-1891 in an archaic style. The following buildings were part of the synagogue: the ritual bath built in 1911, the matzo house and the yeshiva established in 1917. These buildings can still be found opposite the park. In the park the Holocaust statue was made by László Kutas in 2004. The composition in the memory of 1800 victims deported from Sopron to Auschwitz in 1944 symbolises the changing room in front of the gas chambers. The letters of text as rising smoke refers to the prayer "Hear, Israel" and the Hebrew characters on the fence refers to the text "May the memory of the righteous be blessed'".
The church, erected in the 12th-14th century, stands in the cemetery which is bounded by stone wall with loopholes and where a steep road leads to. The tower of the church is accessible across a vaulted "castle gate" served as a watchtower before, and from its Gothic windows the whole landscape of Fertő can be viewed. The fields between the medieval stone ridges of the temple and the triumphal arch is decorated by wall paintings made in the 20th century. The painting behind the altar depicts Bishop Wolfgang of Regensburg who lived in the 10th century, who did missionary work also in Hungary and who was the tutor of Blessed Gisela, the Queen of Hungary.
A pathetic sculpture outside the cemetery wall commemorates several hundreds of Jewish victims who died in the compulsory labour camp in the winter of 1944-1945, among inhuman conditions. The artwork of László Kutas, sculptor and Barna Winkler, architect made in 2008 is a national literary and historic memorial site. There is an open book built in the fence wall with a message carved in the stone: "freedom is not only the matter of a nation but of the whole mankind." The author of this quote is Antal Szerb, Catholic writer who was compromised and killed because of his Jewish origin in the camp of Balf.