Church of the Assumption
The Franciscan monks built their monastery at first, then added a church to it around 1280 which is an outstanding piece of the Hungarian Gothic architecture. The peristyle of its southern gate is adorned by a 15th-century, hooded Mary statue. Its vault and choir are both 15th-century works, but its fittings are Baroque. Its fresco paintings and gothic windows are true masterpieces. The altarpiece elaborately decorated by statues below the medieval consoles shaped like deformed human heads is an 18th-century relic. From one of its pulpits preached Saint John of Capestrano who was gathering an army against the Turks before the victorious battle of Nándorfehérvár. The other pulpit is an 18th-century piece adorned by statues and reliefs. The church was a scene of several historical events: coronation of a king in 1625, coronation of queens, parliaments, the church was used by Benedictine monks as of 1802 which was also the burial site of the Esterházy and the Széchényi families. The late Gothic chapter room together with the church host an interactive exhibition. The building also named as the Goat church received its name because the builder, Henrik Geisel’s coat of arms decorated with a goat can be seen both on the façade of the tower and the consoles of the gallery.