The church was built in 1795. According to the regulations applicable to the protestant church at that time, the entrance to the building could only be accessed through a closed courtyard. Its Baroque furnishings were purchased from the Capuchin Monastery of Magyaróvár, which was closed down in 1782. The altar and gallery, which had been integrated with the pulpit, were replaced at that time – these were originally shorter than what can be seen today. The church was renovated on the 100th anniversary of its consecration (1987-88).The old barrel-mitred tower was demolished, and a new tower with a Baroque steeple was erected. The church's interior was also renovated, a new baptismal font and chandelier were made, a new crucifix was placed on the altar, and the church organ was also renovated. A marble slab was placed above the entrance at this time, with a quote from the Book of Psalms and the date of reconstruction.
The visitor centre was built on part of the foundations of the medieval Benedictine abbey. The Benedictines left Lébény in 1529. In 1638, the abbey became the property of the Jesuit monks, who housed convalescent and old men in the restored medieval monastery. The rest of the building was converted into a rectory in 1838.The new rectory building was built in Romanesque style in 2002-2003, based on the designs of Péter Maráz, on the site of the medieval monastery's farmyard. Its construction was preceded by archaeological research, during which valuable medieval relics were discovered.The findings can be viewed at the Mosonmagyaróvár Museum. The building is decorated with the work (the Good Shepherd, the Virgin Mary with child) of János Reicher, a blacksmith from Gúta (now Kolárovo, Slovakia).The centre welcomes pilgrims and tourists to see the relics of St James, the first martyred apostle.
Benedictine monks settled in Lébény during the Árpád Era. The abbey is already mentioned in a document dated 1199. The church, which lies at the highest point of the village, was probably built in 1212. Its patron saint is St James the Apostle. The building with its Romanesque features, is 30-33 metres' high and consists of a compact nave and two side-aisles. The nave is 16 metres in height. You can enter from the west through a Romanesque columned portal, where you can admire the rich leaf decorations and the two head sculptures, which legend has it, are modelled on the faces of the commissioning abbot and the master builder. The a secco above the entrance depicts the worship of the Three Kings. The south facade is decorated with a more modest portal than the west entrance.The church is basically preserved in its original form and the barrel vaulting of the nave probably dates from the 17th century. The pulpit, the altars and the stained-glass windows were added during the 19th century renovation. There is a statue of St James on the high altar, with a miniature of the church at its foot.The height above sea level of the first step of Lébény church's main entrance is the same as the tower of the Győr town hall.