St James Visitor Centre

The visitor centre was built on part of the foundations of the medieval Benedictine abbey. The Benedictines left Lébény in 1529. In 1638, the abbey became the property of the Jesuit monks, who housed convalescent and old men in the restored medieval monastery. The rest of the building was converted into a rectory in 1838.
The new rectory building was built in Romanesque style in 2002-2003, based on the designs of Péter Maráz, on the site of the medieval monastery's farmyard. Its construction was preceded by archaeological research, during which valuable medieval relics were discovered.
The findings can be viewed at the Mosonmagyaróvár Museum. The building is decorated with the work (the Good Shepherd, the Virgin Mary with child) of János Reicher, a blacksmith from Gúta (now Kolárovo, Slovakia).
The centre welcomes pilgrims and tourists to see the relics of St James, the first martyred apostle.

Download PDF Print this article E-mail