Archduke Friedrich and his wife, Isabella had the church built in 1897, thanking God that a boy (Alrecht) was born in the family at last – after eight girls born previously. The patron saints of the Austrian and Hungarian nations, the statues of Leopold and Stephen stand on the altar of the beautiful church built in Neo-Gothic style following the sample of the Votivkirche in Vienna. The happy parents did not forget about the patron saint of the male heir: therefore, the figure of Saint Albert the Great, a 13th-century scientist, monk and bishop, was painted on one of the glass windows.The municipality next to the Austrian border was totally ruined after World War II, at the time of the Iron Curtain. The church was renovated by the local enterprises 45 years later and it was sanctified in 1991 by Lajos Pápai, the diocesan bishop of Győr.The church is a county relic belonging to the Győr-Moson-Sopron County Depository.
The mass was held in the school – in default of a church – for the Hungarian settlers who arrived in 1938 from Csanád County. József Lőre appointed in 1943 to be the priest of the municipality known as Pünkösdvásár, then Őrcsütörtök, and finally as Várbalog started to build a church. He started to build the foundations of the church from the price of a motorcycle that he acquired from Austria. His descendants continued the construction which the residents were active participants of as volunteers and many persons gave donations and purchased tenders for construction.The church was built on the basis of the designs of Pál Horváth with the congregation’s cooperation and many years of work. The altar and the wrought iron entrance were designed by József Maros. The unusually large Neo-Roman church having a surface area of 524 square metres was sanctified by Norbert Legányi, the archabbot of Pannonhalma in October 1959.