Egyházasfalu, Chapels and statuesKisgógánfa: the Mary Chapel stands at the edge of the village on the forest road (it was built by the Sopronhorpács Széchényi counts)Dasztifalu: the plague saints (Roch, Sebastian and Rosalia) statue group from 1710, the Holy Trinity statue from 1805 and the belfryKeresztény: a lone chapel stands on the edge of the village, in a field next to the Szakony road. According to the inscription on its facade, “this was erected by the parish of Keresztény in 1876 in honour of the Virgin Mary”. Other sacral places of interest • Statue of Mary (churchyard, Ady Endre utca) • Stone cross (circa 1860, Hunyadi utca) • Statue of Mary (1807, Kossuth utca) • Endre Réffy’s tomb and commemorative plaque (Fő utca cemetery) • KALOT folk college - Ebergény castle (1942-1949, Fő utca) • Towards Marácz, the Mary statue (Fő utca) • Getlér picture (in the street on the way to the Keresztény chapel) • Stone cross in the lakeside lay-by (1859, between Keresztény and the railway station)
(Keresztény) Before the Mongol invasion, the village of Keresztény was the property of the Templar Knights, which later became the Order of the Knights Hospitaller St John of Rhodes and Malta. Their Sopron Prior, the poet Mátyás Nyéki Vörös, gave it to the Jesuits in 1636. They built a new church in honour of the Holy Cross in 1724. The village’s Baroque church features an eight-sided stone steeple with a double cross on its corniced clock tower. The base of the tower and the sacristy are wagon-vaulted. There is a gilded embossed shape of the Sower on the pulpit’s balustrade while its sounding board features the stone tablets of the Ten Commandments. The high altar’s pillars and rail are in braided style while instead of an altarpiece, there is a group of statues surrounded by angels: the crucified Jesus, Mary Magdalene embracing the cross, John the Apostle and Mary. The Father and the dove representing the Holy Spirit can be found above them. St Emeric and St Elisabeth are depicted on the sanctuary’s stained-glass windows. There is a plaque commemorating the heroes of the First World War next to the painting on the north wall. Four windows remaining from the medieval church can be found on the south side.
A folk high school functioned until 1949 in this parish established by the unification of four villages (Kisgógánfa, Egyházasfalu, Dasztifalu and Keresztény) that had grown together. Egyházasfalu’s ancient church was ministered over by prominent pastors. These include János Sylvester (1504-1551), an Evangelical writer and translator of the Bible, and Endre Réffy (1828-1905). The latter took part in the 1848-49 War of Independence as a Piarist ordinand, thus suffering imprisonment, and was then parish priest for 32 years. Under his ministry, the new church was built according to the plans of József Ullein. Built in 1888, the neo-Romanesque church was affixed to the nave of the old church and its 33-metre-high tower was reconstructed and preserved. The high altarpiece depicting St George was painted by Ferenc Storno. Its altars and pulpit were made in Tyrol while its sculptures were carved in János Heckenast’s Szombathely workshop.