The villages of Nagypáli and Kispáli belonged under the patronship of the Pápoc Augustine Provostry, founded in 1365. As a result of the Rába’s frequent floods, Kispáli became depopulated over time. The current church was built in 1642 at the behest of Provost Matthias Nyeki Weöres on the site of the wooden church already standing in Nagypáli. It was burned and looted by the Turks in 1683. Renovated in 1693, the tower was added by Pápoc Provost Kristóf Schogg in 1770. The Pope’s proclaimed place of pilgrimage was enlarged in 1804 with side aisles at the expense of Provost Antal Majláth. The high altarpiece of the Assumption of Mary, created at that time, is the work of Viennese artist Josef Schied. The sanctuary’s vaulting features a fresco of the Holy Trinity, while the side altars feature images of St Ladislaus and Mary of Lourdes. The church’s most valuable painting is a scene from the life of St John of Alexandria.(The relic of the Patriarch of Alexandria, who lived at the turn of the 6th and 7th centuries and is famous for his gifts, was preserved in the Royal Chapel of Buda during the reign of Matthias Corvinus. From there, they were taken to the Pauline Monastery of Máriavölgy and finally to Bratislava, to the coronation capital’s church of St Martin, where the relic is still held in high regard.)
The Calvaria next to the church was built in 1696 on the site of the former wooden church sanctuary.There is a crucifix and a stone statue of Mary and St John standing in front of the open, horseshoe-shaped wall. It is one of the earliest such monuments in Hungary and served as a model for 18th-century Hungarian Calvarias. Two of the village’s statues in the public space erected in 1690 are the Pietà at the Vág junction and the “Christ on the Mount of Olives” behind the church.Other sacral public works include the Pusztakút wooden cross (1877), the wooden cross besides Vadosfai Road (1886), the American cross (1904), the Holy Trinity statue (1931) and the marble cross in front of the church.