The Mosonszentpéter Calvary Chapel was built in 1944n but was only consecrated in 1964. The chapel’s facade features a picture of Archangel St Michael. The reliefs of the Way of the Cross were made in a circle by Antal Borsa, a sculptor from Győr. The land and financial resources for the Calvary were provided by the Wachtler family from Szentpéter, in an effort to alleviate the intense pain of the loss of their adult children.
The village of Geszternye, which was destroyed in Turkish times, was repopulated by settlers from Somorja (now Šamorín, Slovakia) in Csallóköz (Great Rye Island) in 1686 (hence today’s name of Pusztasomorja). The medieval church was rebuilt between 1713 and 1735 in Baroque style. Its furnishings include Baroque works, such as the pulpit (with a relief of the Sower on its balustrade), the gilded-painted statue of Mary and the statue of Our Lady of Sorrows. There are statues of King St Stephen, Prince St Emeric and King St Ladislaus on the neo-Romanesque high altar. A plaque on the side wall of the church commemorates Pusztasomorja’s heroic dead of World War II. There is a 19th-century stone cross in front of the church.
The church was built on foundations from the Árpád Era, which is evidenced by the ashlars of the lower third of the tower and the columns in front of the facade. The 16th-century church, which was destroyed several times over the years, was rebuilt in its present Neo-Romaneesque style in 1906. The relief of the high altar depicts St Peter, while statues of King St Stephen and St Elizabeth of the House of Árpád stand beside it. The side altars feature statues of Our Lady of Hungary and the Heart of Jesus. The ceiling frescos of the church’s interior, painted in 1938, depict the Last Supper, St Stephen offering up the country and a view of Pannonhalma.
The Baroque church was built in 1769 at the behest of the Archduchess Maria Christina and her husband Albert Casimir, Elector of Saxony . The church is adorned with a pulpit boasting a relief of the Good Shepherd, late-Baroque benches as well as lovely statues and altars. The high altarpiece depicts the baptism of Jesus. The votive image, which, according to its German inscription “was created by the Szentjános market town on 1 June 1765, in honour of the miraculous Kiscell Mary and the patron saints of herdsmen, St Wendel and St Leonard”, is particularly interesting. The lower part of the work shows the creatures in need of protection, behind them the silhouette of heavenly patronage, the two saints in the middle, and the Kiscell devotional picture above. The ceiling’s frescos, which depict the Last Judgement, the Sermon on the Mount, the Assumption of Mary, the Evangelists and musical angels, were created in 1928. The names of the stations on the Way of the Cross are in German. Marble plaques in Hungarian and German on the church’s wall commemorate the Mosonszentjános victims of the two world wars and the 1946 deportation. There is a Baroque statue of St John of Nepomuk in front of the church.