The single-naved, Secession style St Elisabeth’s Church (Blue Church) was built between 1909 and 1913 according to the plans of Budapest architect, Ödön Lechner. Its most striking feature is its blue plaster-work and blue-glazed tiles.
The church, located in Bratislava’s old town, was originally built in Gothic style with later reconstructions combining numerous stylistic features into the sacral building complex. It is the oldest ecclesiastical building in the Slovakian capital. It merits attention not only because of its architectural significance but also due to important historical events connected to it.
St Martin’s Cathedral is the largest and most significant three-naved Gothic church in Bratislava. Its construction began in the 13th century, in an old cemetery where there was already a small chapel. It was transformed over the centuries, achieving its current appearance after 1849. The cathedral played an extremely important role during Bratislava’s 200 years as capital of the Kingdom of Hungary (between 1563 and 1830). Eleven monarchs and eight queens were crowned in the Gothic St Martin’s Cathedral during this time, the most famous of which was Maria Theresa.