St Martin’s Cathedral
St Martin’s Cathedral is the largest and most significant three-naved Gothic church in Bratislava. Its construction began in the 13th century, in an old cemetery where there was already a small chapel. It was transformed over the centuries, achieving its current appearance after 1849. The cathedral played an extremely important role during Bratislava’s 200 years as capital of the Kingdom of Hungary (between 1563 and 1830). Eleven monarchs and eight queens were crowned in the Gothic St Martin’s Cathedral during this time, the most famous of which was Maria Theresa.