Víziváros St Ignatius of Loyola Parish Church - Esztergom
The Víziváros parish church is located on Mindszenty tér, the main square of Víziváros (Watertown), next to the Primate’s Palace. Built in the first half of the 18th century by the Jesuits in the honour of St Ignatius of Loyola, the Baroque church served temporarily as a cathedral between 1820 and 1856.
The listed church is a significant memorial to Hungarian Baroque architecture originating from Italy. The forward-curved facade is straddled by two towers and there is a statue of St Ignatius of Loyola at the top of the arched gable. The church has a single nave and a floor area of 399 m²; the nave and sanctuary have surbased spherical vaulting. The main altarpiece dates from 1737 and is the work of Martino Altomonte; it depicts the glorification and miracles of St Ignatius. There is a listed statue of Mary opposite the church’s entrance, which was created in 1740 to commemorate the previous year’s plague.