St Peter and St Paul Parish Church (Inner City Parish Church)

The one-towered church, also known as the Old Church, was built between 1757 and 1762. It has an incredibly beautiful oak door and carved benches. After the basilica, it is the second largest church in Esztergom and the third largest in the county. Its tower is 70 metres high. Its predecessor was the parish of St Peter, which was already mentioned 1294. In 1756 Buda master builder Ignác Oratsek was entrusted with the construction of the church. Prince-Primate Ferenc Barkóczy consecrated the huge, monumental, Baroque church in 1762. The approximately 990 m2 building has been the scene of significant religious events in the city. Its furnishings have been continuously enriched over time. The high altarpiece is the work of János Vaszary. The St John of Nepomuk statue located in the church’s curtain is a monument dating from the 18th century. The chaplain of the monument was, for a short time, Ottokár Prohászka.
The parish offers accommodation possibilities for pilgrims.

Address: 2500 Esztergom, Deák Ferenc u. 12.

Further information:
2500 Esztergom, IV. Béla király u. 3.
20/775-2841, 33/898-124

Download PDF Print this article E-mail