Franciscan (St Anne) Church - Esztergom
St Anne’s Church and Monastery are the city’s earliest Baroque architectural monuments.
The Franciscan church was partly built on the remains of an earlier church named after the medieval Helping Virgin Mary. The Franciscan order was already present in Esztergom in the 1220s, before the death of St Francis of Assisi. King Béla IV was buried in the church they built. Construction work on a new church, still standing today, to replace the earlier destroyed building began in 1700. It only gained its current form, however, in 1886 when its tower was built. There are three statues of saints in the statue niches on its facade: St Francis of Assisi, St Anne with the baby Mary and St Anthony of Padua. The church was completely renovated in 1989-1990 and the monastery underwent continuous expansion and renovation until 1999. The latter building houses the Ladislaus Pelbárt of Timişoara Franciscan Grammar School and Boarding School.
Address: 2500 Esztergom, Bottyán J. u. 10.
Kermesse (patronal festival): 26 June
Adoration: 28 March and 7 December
2500 Esztergom, Bottyán János u. 10.
(33) 510-290, 414-300/124