The church was caused to be built towards the end of the 12th century, and was later transformed several times by the Osl family (or the Premonstratensian Provost of Csorna which received lands from them). The splendid present-day main portal and southern aisle were built around 1230. Following the Mongol invasion it was rebuilt to already include Gothic details. For example, the sitting booths of the sanctuary were also made at this time. The renovation of the church which was demolished after the Turkish destruction was completed in the 1740s. The reconstruction between 1957 and 1960 preserved the Baroque vaults and tower but unravelled Roman and Gothic details where it was possible. The southern aisle and the small northern sacristy were reconstructed on the excavated medial supporting walls. The inside of the church stands out due to the beautiful harmony of Roman, Gothic, Baroque and Modern architecture and fitting. The nave is covered by a banded barrel vault. A medial confessional is seen on the northern wall. The southern wall includes Gothic sitting booths. The former altarpiece of the church was placed here which is probably the work of Jr. István Dorfmeister. There are 18th-century wooden statues in the sanctuary. The altar, the crucifix and the reliefs of the stations of the cross are the works of Ernő Szakál. The former cemetery surrounding the church was excavated. Carvings which cannot be returned to their original place can be viewed in the Lapidarium.