Dénes fought in the service of King Béla against the Czech Ottokar and was seriously injured in his defence. Therefore, in 1265, the king granted him land worth five soccages as a token of his gratitude. This area was named after him, so ‘Dénes’s village’. In the 1610s, Mózes Czráky raised a new castle in Dénesfa to replace the ancient family seat. The former home of the counts acquired its current Classicist form, decorated with a Tuscan-style balcony and tympanum, in the reconstruction by József Hild completed between 1825 and 1830. The castle is set in 24 hectares of parkland, amongst centuries-old trees. The chapel in the corner of the building is also the parish church for the small village of Répce. It’s worth visiting to see the richly gilded, green Baroque furnishings (armchair, organ cabinet and altar) as well as the altarpiece depicting the glorification of St Margaret of Antioch.