Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
The first mention of Beled’s church dates from 1308. Today’s parish church dedicated to the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built thanks to the support of its patrons, the Cziráky and Esterházy families, on the site of the previous old church which had burnt down. The floorspace of the church built between 1861 and 1863 is 540 m2 while its tower is 28m high. The facade of the single-naved, late Classicist building is Romanticist while its tower is built in neo-Gothic style.
The high altar’s altarpiece depicts the new-born Mary in the arms of her father, St Joachim, with her mother, St Anne, next to him. Statues of St Anthony and St John of Nepomuk stand on the two sides of the high altar. The paintings on the side altars depict the “Annunciation scene and St Joseph. The interior’s oldest ornament is the Baroque statue of the Madonna. The organ was made in Vienna in 1864, and the three bells were cast by the Seltenhofer dynasty in Sopron.
A cholera epidemic devastated the Rábaköz in 1855. After it had receded, the Beled worshippers erected a Mary column in the churchyard out of gratitude.