St Nicholas’s Church, the town’s oldest building of art historical interest, is located on a gentle elevation on the southwestern side of Senec’s main square. Nowadays, it is the determining element of the townscape. Its foundations date back to the Gothic period while it gained its present form by the mid-18th century as a result of various reconstructions, demonstrating characteristic Baroque features. The Sempoz (Senec) congregation first appears in a written record from 1308. Historians have also found evidence that there was already a small wooden church on the mound during the Great Moravian Empire, which also played a protective role. The 1326 Zonctorony (Tureň) border census records the fact that the Senec church was dedicated to St Nicholas. The originally early Gothic building built in 1326 has also undergone various transformations. Sources mention reconstruction in 1561, a Renaissance-style reconstruction in 1633 and a Baroque-style reconstruction in 1740. The building continued to evolve in the 19th and 20th centuries. There are four altars: the high altar is dedicated to St Nicholas, the left-hand side altar to the Queen of the Rosary, the right-hand side altar to St Ladislaus and the fourth altar to St Teresa. All are in Rococo style. At the top of the church mound, there is a small square around the church, surrounded by a wall, which evokes the stations of the way of the cross. The Calvary statue group dating from 1934 stands next to the wall at the foot of the sanctuary whereas an impressive Lourdes cave was created beneath it.