Jelka - Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist
The religious community was founded in the 13th century and has written registries from 1732. The real estate national cultural monument "Roman Catholic Church of St. John the Baptist in Jelka", registered in the Central List of Monuments Fund under the number 24/1, is a dominant feature of the village of Jelka, situated on a slight elevation in the cadastral territory Jelka of the Jelka village.
A Baroque church with a Romanesque core with preserved Romanesque apse and Neo-Romanesque transept bears historical values: urban value, architectural value, visual value, age and antiquity value, historical document value and value of function.
The oldest and historically most valuable part of the building is the Romanesque apse with concha, dated to the 3rd quarter of the 13th century, which was the sanctuary of the original medieval church. Gothic paintings from the first half of the 14th century have been preserved on the inner walls of the apse.
In the years 1747-1756 the church underwent an important Baroque reconstruction, a massive single nave was completed vaulted with a six-side rising vault. As part of the modern reconstruction in 1921, a transept with cross vaults was built from the southern and northern sides of the sanctuary. After the Neo-Romanesque reconstruction, the original Baroque look of the nave was preserved from the exterior side. The interior features the original Baroque main altar from the 17th century with significant artistic value.
Source: Archbishop's Office, Archdiocese of Trnava
Address: Kostolná village no. 693/14, 925 23 Jelka
Telephone: +421 907 176 914