Šaštín-Stráže - Basilica of the Seven Sorrows of the Virgin Mary (Pavlins, parish)
The life of the village Šaštín-Stráže is closely linked to the national sanctuary, the Basilica (Basilica Minor) of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows, the main patron saint of Slovakia. Its origin dates back to 1736, when the current basilica was built according to the plans of Matej Vépi together with the adjacent monastery of St. Paul's monks - the Pavlins. Today, the monastery and basilica are managed by the Salesian Order. During the pilgrimages, in particular the Solemnity of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost) and the Feast of Our Lady of Seven-Sorrows (15 September), the city and the basilica is visited by tens of thousands of pilgrims. Pilgrims, however, come throughout the year, not only from Slovakia but also from abroad, especially from neighboring countries. The basilica is closely linked to the statue of Our Lady of Seven-Sorrows of 1564, whose adoring was granted in 1732 by Archbishop Imrich Esterházy. This is a late Gothic Danube work by an unknown author. It is located on the late Baroque altar and became the basis for the so-called šaštín type of piety. The decoration of the basilica bears the handwriting of Jean Joseph Chamant and Lukáš Kraker.
Basilica of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows
Kláštorné sq. no. 1295
908 41 Šaštín-Stráže
Entrusted with pastoral of the pilgrimage site:
P. Ondrej Kentoš OSPPE
Telephone - fixed line: +421 34 6941 502
Provides for pilgrimage registration (individuals, parishes, schools, communities)
The centre is open every working day: from 9 to 12 a.m.
Telephone - fixed line: +421 34 6542 111
Cell phone: 0903/160 904