Hlohovec – Franciscan monastery and a church

The history of the monastery is connected with the bull of Pope Paul II from 1465, which allowed the construction of the Franciscan Church near the Chapel of All Saints. The first reference of the chapel dates back to 1401. The first inhabitants of the monastery were Franciscans from Bosnia, who fully developed their activities after the monastery was built in 1492. In the troubled times of the Reformation, the monastery (and the church) belonged to the Evangelical Church of A. C. At that time the printing house of Valentín Manckovič worked as one of the first in Slovakia. After the conversion of Adam Thurza, the owner of the Hlohov estate to the Catholic faith, the monastery and the church were returned to Franciscans in 1630.

In the years 1663 - 1683 the town and the monastery were ruled by the Turks, but the Franciscans had consent to spiritual activity. The ceremonial consecration of the church was carried out on 18 May 1699 by the Bishop of Nitra, Ladislav Maťašovský. In the 18th century the monastery was the seat of the provincial minister of the Province of the Most Holy Saviour. The monastery has been a philosophical school since 1647, in 1653 promoted to general studies. In the 18th to 19th centuries the monastery was a remarkable centre of culture and education.

The monastery library was remarkable as well, which dates back to the first half of the 16th century. Among the manuscripts found here, the most valuable are the Hlohov Glagolitic fragments (2 letters of the Old Slavonic text of Croatia - Dalmatian origin from the 13th to14th centuries). Since 1959, the Homeland Museum of regional importance has been in the monastery building. Here the brothers began to rebuild the religious life since 1990 and help pastoral diocesan clergy.

Source: Archbishop Office, Archdiocese of Trnava

Contact information:
Address: Franciscan square no. 15, 920 01 Hlohovec
Convent of the monastery: Jeremiáš Daniel Kvaka
Telephone: 0902 122 445
E-mail: hcklastor@gmail.com
Web: https://frantiskanihc.sk/klastor/

Download PDF Print this article E-mail