Holy Cross Church
The area was already a church estate from the 1300s and the church, still standing today, was built in 1735 in Baroque style. The monastery was built in the second half of the 18th century for the Nazarenes, then the Pauline order settled here twice for a short time. From 1913, the shrine was taken over by Don Bosco’s Salesian Society, which brought stability and prosperity to the place of worship. It was nationalised in 1950 but the Salesian Order got it back in 1992. The Holy Cross Church, a pilgrimage church housing relics, which was renovated in 2014, welcomes worshippers with Holy Mass every day of the week. The church’s attractions include the St Wendel Chapel as well as the stained-glass windows depicting the events of our Lady of Seven Sorrows. The main points of interest in the area are the Calvary statue group erected in the 18th century, each station of which was created in a different style, as well as the Lourdes cave. It is a popular place for pilgrims thanks to its remarkable religious history. It lies along the route of the 1,400km-long Mary Way leading from Mariazell in Austria to Csíksomlyó (Șumuleu Ciuc) in Transylvania and the 900km-long Via Margaritarum, or Pearl Way, joining Mátraverebély, Szentkút and Mariazell.
A pilgrimage site in honour of the Holy Cross.
Services: holy mass, accommodation, events, gift shop, café, National Blue Tour seal site, Gerecse Nature Park Visitors’ Centre (under construction!)
Address: Bajót – Péliföldszentkereszt
2533 Bajót- Péliföldszentkereszt, Pf. 3