Holy Cross Church
The towering monumental church on Kossuth tér, the town’s main square, glorifies the work of talented Baroque architects Franz Anton Pilgram, Jakab Fellner and József Grossman. The names of Adolf Mohl, Antal Gött, Antal Schweiger and János György Mes are connected amongst others to the impressive interior of the two-tower church. The two-towered, single-naved building’s exterior and interior decoration are both dominated by festoons depicting foliage, a popular ornament of the late Baroque era, from which this age’s style got its Hungarian name ’copf’, meaning braid. The main nave is covered by double bay surbased spherical vaulting while the sanctuary is narrower than the main nave. The towers are almost 60 metres high and both are topped with Baroque steeples. It is the 2nd largest church in Komárom-Esztergom County. There is a late Baroque-style altar made of red marble in the centre of the church’s interior; a carved Calvary corpus can be seen in its columnar structure. The liturgical space’s most beautiful ornaments are the marble rood-screen, the richly carved pulpit and the 1799 painting by Hubert Mauer depicting the farewell of the Apostles Peter and Paul. In the sacristy, there is a carved sacristy cabinet from the Camaldolese Reclusory Church in Majk, which is a masterpiece of Rococo furniture. The tomb of the great Baroque architect, Jakab Fellenthali Fellner, is located in the church’s crypt whereas a portrait statue of him can be found on the square in front of the church.
Address: 2890 Tata Kossuth tér 15.