Holy Trinity Church

Following the Mongol invasion, King Béla IV of Hungary donated the town to Tamás Poky commissionaire, who established a Premonstratensian Provost just outside of Tét in 1251 to pay tribute to Saint Stephen the martyr. A Neo-Tudor style castle using Gothic and Renaissance elements was built in 1905 on the ruins of the former monastery named Pokvár. Tét is the centre of the archpriest’s district. The town church took its current shape in 1818 after several reconstructions. A plaque on its wall proclaims that the poet and neologist Endre Pázmándi Horvát was a parish priest here between 1806 and 1829. The sanctuary of the late-Baroque building has two Holy Trinity pictures. The smaller one, the former altarpiece was placed on the side wall in the 1950s. Then it was replaced by the larger picture together with a new altarpiece. These latter ones were caused to be brought by the Jesuit priest named János Rozmán, who was driven away from Eger, to the church of his brother, a priest named Ferenc Rozmán in Tét. The newer paintings seen in the nave – Saint Stephen, stations of the cross – are the works of a sign painter in Győr, and the Saint Anne statue was made in the workshop of a female potter in Dőr. The baptismal font is the work of a local blacksmith.

Download PDF Print this article E-mail