St Lawrence’s Church
The church is first mentioned in written sources from the 17th century and was named after the martyred St Lawrence when it was renovated in 1663. It has been rebuilt several times due to war damage, fire and deterioration. The walls of the lower levels of the tower are made of stone. This is the oldest part of the church, dating back to the 13th century. There is a curved gable on two sides of the tower, with four statues in its recesses. The coat-of-arms of the Viczay family and a piece of medieval fascia can be seen above the entrance. The baptismal font is an 18th-century work, with a group of statues depicting the baptism of Jesus on its cover. The high altar and its statues of St James and St John came from St Michael’s Church in Sopron. The old altarpiece, on the other hand, ended up in Sopron, and the current image of St Lawrence was painted by Jenő Steiner around 1900. The sacristy was built on both sides of the sanctuary as well as one of the oratorios, the “Gentlemen’s Sacristy”. Joined to the southern wall of the nave is a chapel with a flat ceiling, above which is the other oratory, the “Craftsmen’s Choir”. The gallery with surbased spherical vaulting is supported by two Tuscan columns.