St Emeric’s Church
The church consecrated by Bishop Vilmos Apor in 1943 was designed by Nándor Körmendy. The facade above the entrance is decorated with ceramics by Margit Kovács. There are two mosaics (St Anthony and St Teresa) and two paintings (St Joseph and St Philomena) in the vestibule. The entire wall surface of the church’s interior is covered with a polymorphic series of paintings by Istán Szőnyi. Six fresco scenes entitled “Christ triumphs in the world church” can be seen in the sanctuary. Three fresco secco scenes entitled “Hungarian church prays and works / our past, present and future” is featured on the nave’s huge wall. The holy church’s door is decorated with a relief of the Good Shepherd lifting the lost lamb onto his shoulder (Antal Borsa’s work). The sanctuary’s mosaic floor depicts, on the one hand, historical and 20th Győr’s building, industry and trade and on the other, the signs of the zodiac which come around again every year; reminding mortal man of the eternal God, who is above time (Géza Főnyi’s work). The relief on the altar of St Emeric was created by Miklós Borsos. There is a mosaic by János Pleidel on the baptismal chapel wall. Goldsmith artist Bandi Schima captures the baptismal scene on the chapel’s iron door.
There are two stone statues in front of the church. The statue of St Emeric is located on the path which the prince often took to Pannonhalma (Ferenc Varga’s work) and the Heart of Jesus statue is the work of Béla Ohmann.
Another statue of St Emeric under the church’s arcade was created by Antal Kováts.
The ceramic picture from 2018 on the building’s facade commemorates the consecration of the church 75 years earlier.