Church of Saint John of Nepomuk

Vének is first mentioned in a charter issued by Saint Ladislaus in 1093. The village along the River Danube belongs to the diocese of Pannonhalma. The archabbey has been provided with fish from here for centuries. The fishing of beluga was particularly significant. The former church was built in 1733 and stood next to the cemetery. This was dismantled at the end of the 19th century. The current church was sanctified in 1906. Its altarpiece depicting the martyr Saint John of Nepomuk with angels was painted by László Patay. The altarpiece of the former church can also been seen on the wall. The organ is a protected monument. The former parish building and school next to the church are owned by the local government. The sacral traditions of the village include the house blessing, the church feast and the procession of the Holy Sacrament, as well as the pilgrimage to the icon of the Weeping Virgin Mary in Győr by walking along the Mosoni-Danube embankment in every March. The parental home of notable Jesuit journalist, Béla Bangha, which is indicated by a commemorative plaque, is found in the village. The visitors of the dead-end village are greeted by the statue of Saint John of Nepomuk standing just outside the village.

Download PDF Print this article E-mail