The Nádorváros Calvary Hill was once a Celtic and later a Roman cemetery. In the 12th-13th century, the provostry church and captiular headquarters named after St Adalbert stood here. These were destroyed during the 16th-century Turkish raids. In the 17th century, the military authority erected a scaffold here. The Jesuits built the Calvary in the early 18th century. A wide stone staircase leads up the hill to the crosses of the crucified Christ and the two rogues. Baroque chapels designed by Martin Wittwer Athanasius stand at the foot of the Calvary. The seven stations along Calvary Street depicting the sufferings of Jesus were made in 1722.