Győrság Reformed Church

In 1683, the Turkish army besieging Pannonhalma also destroyed Ság and its church. The Reformed worshippers built a teacher’s flat, a school and a church with mud-plastered walls. The current church with its ten-metre-high tower was built by Ság’s small congregation without any outside support. The interior of the building consecrated by Bishop Benő Békerfi measures 7 metres by 17 metres and can seat 130. The church has a memorial plaque to János Szecsei, the martyred galley-slave priest. The memorial plaque on the wall proclaims: “Built to the glory of God in 1963-1968.” The 95-kg bell was cast in 1872 by Frigyes Seltenhofer in Sopron.

Download PDF Print this article E-mail