Church of St James the Apostle
The name of the village can be found among the fishing villages listed in the Pannonhalma Abbey’s letter of foundation from 1001. Its first church was built following the Mongol invasion at the end of what is Kisvág Street today. Famous son of the village, warrior of the marches, painter and songwriter Ferenc Watthay (1568-1609) was buried in its crypt. A new church was built in 1828 to replace the church that was destroyed during the Turkish occupation. The Gothic stone emblem above the entrance is probably from the old church. A statue of St James the Apostle stands on the main altar. The frescoes were painted by József Horváth, the organ was built by József Kemenes and the seven stained-glass windows created by József Palka. There is a Baroque stone statue of St John of Nepomuk (1770), a columnar, multi-figure Holy Trinity statue (1903) and a statue of St Stephen the King (2010) in the churchyard.
The agricultural and animal husbandry parish had two votive holidays: 8 June (St Medardus’s Day) in the hope of protection against hail and 13 June (St Anthony of Padua’s Day) to avoid losing cattle.