Chapel of Our Lady

The village’s ornament, a county value, is listed in the Győr-Moson-Sopron County Value Depository. Records show that it was built between 1296 and 1303. The single-naved building was once the parish church, a shrine to Mary and the funeral chapel of the Héderváry family at the same time. A new crypt and a Loreto chapel with built onto its north side in the second half of the 17th century. It was then rebuilt in neo-Gothic style in the 19th century. The sanctuary’s eastern wall has a, presumably original, Romanesque window. Five red marble tombstones can be seen on the sanctuary wall. The ornate urn in the Loreto chapel contains the heart of the first Károly Khuen-Háederváry. There is also an urn surrounded by carved snakes on a stylised Corinthian column. Next to it are three large silver urns in a recess covered with a coat-of-arms. There is a wooden screen reminiscent of Greek Orthodox churches behind the chapel’s altar and above its ledge, there are imperial, royal and family coats-of-arms surrounded by Baroque decorations. There is a statue of the Virgin Mary carved from ebony behind the screen in a statue recess. The Chapel Gallery also hosts temporary exhibitions.

Download PDF Print this article E-mail