(Benedictine) Church St Ignatius of Loyola
Jesuits settled in the city in 1627 and built a church between 1634 and 1641 modelled on Rome’s Church of Il Gesù. The monastery and school were also completed in 1667.
The church’s interior is early Baroque in style. The high altarpiece depicting the transfiguration of St Ignatius as well as the ceiling frescoes of the sanctuary and nave (Ascension of the Spirit of St Ignatius and the Annunciation) were painted by prominent Viennese artist Paul Troger and two of his fellow artists. The beautiful Baroque pulpit was made in 1749 and the organ-case in 1755. There is an angel concert fresco above the organ. A shell pattern dominates the decoration of the richly carved pews and doors. There are three chapels on each side of the nave. Their furnishings are older than those of the main nave. The Way of the Cross Chapel which opens from the sanctuary features reliefs by Mária Pátzay created in 1980. The Benedictines used the building complex from 1802 after the dissolution of the Jesuit Order.