Exaltation of the Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church

The Abbot of the Pannonhalma Benedictines built a church in honour of St Bartholomew in Dunajská Lužná in the 13th century. In the 17th century, it also served as the parish church during the sectarian struggles of 1684. Due to its size, it was unable to accommodate pilgrims, so Abbot of Pannonhalma, Dániel Somogyi, ordered the construction of a larger church on the site of the Romanesque church, which was then built between 1786 and 1797. The church was consecrated in honour of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in 1797. It is still one of the most important buildings in the village and was listed as a monument in 1963. Comprehensive renovation was carried out between 1982 and 1984. This included replacing the entire roof structure, the main joist, the flooring and part of the plaster-work as well as repainting the entire church. Copper plates were used as roofing material. A new parsonage was built between 1989 and 1990, which has been the seat of the Dunajská Lužná Dominican convent since 1996. The latest comprehensive renovation of the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross has been ongoing since 2004 (rehabilitation of daub walls, window replacement, new electrical wiring, pew replacement, exterior and interior painting, new entrance door, putting the church’s surroundings in order and tidying up the square between the church and the parsonage).

Download PDF Print this article E-mail